I made a beef stroganoff recipe as my boyfriend has always wanted me to cook this after he tasted this particular dish at a restaurant. I’ve tried numerous times before but it’s never been right. It’s always tasted a bit bland or just generally been a weak recipe.
Inspired by Good Food
I came across the above recipe and had to make it especially as most of the ingredients are found in the store cupboard.
Just one note, although the recipe says ‘serves four’ I made exactly the same amount as we usually save money by making extra as we usually take it for lunch the next day or I might have it for dinner the following evening. A helpful tip for people either feeding 1 or 2 people is always make extra and save the rest for another day!
Changes I made
I substituted papperdelle pasta for tagliatelle. Worked just as well.
Only added 150g of button mushrooms as the boy isn’t too keen on them
This was such a winner in our books. It was so easy to make and tasted delicious! It’s definitely one we would add to out home recipe book (if we had one!). I was initially skeptical as some of the comments on the website said it tasted a bit bland however when making the recipe I was thinking how a recipe made with mustard could be bland when it’s full of flavour?!! These are definitely some comments that need to be ignored as if I’d listened I wouldn’t have been extremely surprised by how good this tasted.
- 400g beef, cut into chunks
- 150g button mushrooms
- 400g tagliatelle
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 onions (or shallots)
- 300ml beef stock
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 2-3 tbsp crème fraîche
- Handful of chopped parsley (optional)
- In a large, non-stick frying pan, melt half of the butter a little oil. Sear the beef in batches until browned on both sides.
- Start to boil the pasta.
- Add the remaining butter and oil to the pan and add the mushrooms and shallots and fry for a few mins until soft.
- Stir in the flour for 1 min, then gradually stir in the stock and bubble for 5 mins until thickened.
- Stir in the mustard, purée, crème fraîche and seasoning. Cook for a few more minites.
- Drain the pasta, toss with half the parsley and season.
- Serve with the creamy stroganoff, sprinkled with the remaining parsley.