Growing up around traditional Indian cuisine and then moving away from my family, has left me missing homecooked Indian food and drink especially Indian chai tea that my family used to make on special occasions.
This isn’t like the ‘chai’ tea found in coffeeshops such as Starbucks, or even boxed in supermarkets labelled as ‘chai’. Although the base notes are there, it’s not the same as the tea I grew up with. Myself and the OH took it upon ourselves to try and make the delicious tea.
Please note that this is a simplified version of the recipe but tastes just as good.
- 1-2 tsp of roughly crushed Cardamom
- 1 tsp of Cloves
- 1-2 tsp of Fennel Seeds
- 1-2 tsp of Aniseed/Anise
- 2 Tea Bags
- Sugar - add to taste
- Milk - add to taste
- Measure out enough water for two cups and add to a saucepan and begin boiling.
- Add two tea bags (we usually make tea for two, but add depending on how many people serving) and all spices and wait for water to boil. The water will start to infuse with the spices and tea.
- Once boiled, use a small sieve to add water to mugs.
- Add a splash of milk to each mug and also sugar depending on taste.